To the new year-round residents of Swan’s Island ~

I just want to give you a heads up about a few things/laws/rules that you may or may not be aware of. Some are listed here on the website while others need to be but I haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

Dogs: if you have a dog that is 6 months old, the requirement, per State law, is to be licensed with the town within 10 working days of moving here. The licenses for the coming year are available after October 15th each year. You will need to bring proof of a current Maine rabies certificate and if the dog is altered, that paperwork is required as well. The cost to license a dog is $6 if it is altered and $11 if it is intact.

There is a town ordinance in place about dogs being on the beach which is on our website. Also, per State law, dogs are required to be on a leash or under control at all times while outside. The ordinance can be read in full on this website elsewhere.

Clam licenses: There is to be no digging of clams unless you have a town license. These can be obtained from the Town Office during my hours. There is an officer who patrols the flats occasionally plus the commercial clammers are watching. Their livelihood depends on people not walking the flats and killing the seedlings. If you do dig illegally, you should check the website to be sure there is not a red tide warning as eating clams during red tide can be extremely dangerous…even deadly. Please read the ordinance entitled "Swan's Island Shellfish Ordinance" on this website under ordinances.

Vehicles: Motor Vehicles are required, also per State law, to be registered in town within 30 days of moving here. In order to register a vehicle, I will need the title from your previous residence (if the vehicle was registered out of State) as well as proof of insurance and the mileage. Once the vehicle is registered, it will need an inspection sticker as soon as possible.

Homestead Exemption: When you have maintained Swan’s Island as your residence for a year, you are entitled to a homestead exemption the following tax year as long as the paperwork is filed with the office by April 1st. The same with a Veteran’s exemption if you are over a certain age. In order to receive the Veteran’s exemption you are required to show a DD214, an honorable discharge and proof that you have been in the service during certain wartime periods.

Town events, things of interest, sales, etc. are listed on Facebook on the Swan’s Island Information Page which is our on line bulletin board. The Swan’s Island Town Office Facebook page has articles related to the town government  like transfer station hours, selectmen's meeting agendas, and other information, Many things are also posted in the hallway at the Town Office/Post Office and a few various public places around town. 

Gwen J May

Tax Collector

Town Clerk

Registrar of Voters